James Brown Huston family

     James was born on May 26, 1811, in Nelson Co., Kentucky, and moved to Lawrence Co., Indiana in 1825, where he worked on a farm and taught school.  He married Nancy Hill on December 29, 1831, in Orange Co., Indiana.   (She was the daughter of Joseph Hill of Orange Co., Indiana).  They moved to Hancock Co., Indiana, where James sold saddles and bridles as a sideline to farming and teaching.  They lived in Hancock County during the 1830's and in Martin County, Indiana, most of the 1840's.  James taught school in Hancock County, 1834-35, and Martin County 1839-1849.  
     James' brother William was evidently selected by the Huston family to go to Iowa by riverboat and locate new land soon to be opened west of Des Moines.  In Dallas County, William staked out land for himself, James and brother Jonathan.  James and Jonathan followed on land in wagons and arrived on October 14, 1849.  James purchased 240 acres of land from the government along the stage route from Fort Des Moines to Council Bluffs, and until 1867 was engaged in farming on it.  He built and managed a stagecoach line inn, tavern and the first post office in Dallas County on his farm.  (It was customary in stagecoach days to have taverns five miles or so out on the main roads from important towns).  He prospered until he owned nearly one thousand acres of land in the area.  James was the first Dallas County attorney, according to historical records.
     The first ten children were born in Indiana and the last two in Iowa.  The family, however, was struck with tragedy.  Of this family of twelve children, three sons and three daughters were deaf-mutes (Sarah, Mary Ann, David, George, Frederick, Burnetta).  In the 1895 U.S. Special Census of Deaf Marriages, David Huston states that his sister, Sarah, became deaf from scarlet fever.  David listed his brother, George, as born deaf, but reference to an 1870 document states the 3rd (Burnetta) and 8th children (George) lost their hearing due to disease. 
     Mary Ann and Burnetta attended a school for deaf-mutes in Iowa City, IA.  Two infant sons were lost due to illness, one in Indiana and one in Iowa.  The younger infant son was buried in 1851 in the southwest corner of their tract of land in Boone Township, Dallas Co.  This was the first of many burials of the Huston family in what was later to be known as the "Huston Cemetery".  When the area became more populated, and the lands were surveyed for roads, it was found that the Huston Cemetery was squarely in the middle of the intersection.  A county supervisor ordered that the cemetery be moved, but James' sons proved that the cemetery had been recorded years before in Adel, IA.  So the roads were made to encircle the plot, thus it became also known as "The Middle of the Road Cemetery".
     James gave 40 acres of land to each of his afflicted children living at the time - Sarah, David, George, and Fredrick.  He helped his other sons, Joseph and Jonathan purchase farms nearby.  His son, James, obtained the elder James' farm in Adel.  James retired from farming in 1867, after his wife's death.  He died January 29, 1889, in Dallas Co., IA, and is buried in the Huston Cemetery.

                from "The Huston Family:  Iowa Supplement" by Sgt. Major Richard Alan Huston, Des Moines, Iowa, 1981.  State Historical Library and additional research by Lynnette Davis.



Dallas County Records - will of James B. Brown.


JAMES B HUSTON, of Boone Twp, Dallas County, aged 78 years.
Will dated 25 Jun 1888, proven 23 Feb 1889.
Desire a tombstone similar to that of my wife and children be erected. To be buried by my wife in Huston Cemetery at the SW corner of my farm in Boone Township. To my dau Margaret Jane Newby, my clock, looking glass and rocking chair; to my son David Huston my clothing, bed and bedding; to my son James P Huston two plows; to my son Geo D Huston my clothes press and lounge; to my son Fredrick R Huston my musket; to my son Jonathan W Huston my chairs and the contents of my desks; to Charles Huston, son of my son Jonathan W Huston, all my books; remainder of estate to my granddau Ida Huston, dau of my son David Huston.
Executor: Jacob Snyder, my friend and neighbor.
Witnesses: T R Northd, Edmund Nichole, attorneys, Adel.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to create this blog.
    My grandmother is Leota B. Huston. I am the oldest son
    of Robert Ross Rees, one of Leota's sons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leota Huston's married name would be Leota Rees.
    George W. Rees, born in Milo, Iowa is my grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Todd David Huston.

    My father is Thomas Knute Huston, my grandfather is Carlisle David Huston, his father William George Huston, and his father George Dallas Huston, then his father is James Brown Huston.

    This is what I linked together on ancestry.com looking up census records.

    Most of My father's side of the family lives in Minnesota. I would have to say that I am a direct descendent of James Brown Huston. Anyone have any thoughts about fixing up the cemetery on civic mills parkway? If anyone wants to contact me for any reason my email is tddh2000@gmail.com.
    I'm in the Waterloo Iowa area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Todd-I thought the same thing...it would be nice to get the county or city to install bollards to keep the cars out of the cemetery and put up a new sign. Every time I stop there, there is more damage. I currently live in south central MN but am about to move soon (changing jobs). James Brown-George Dallas-William George- William Leroy-Louis Richard-Linda Marie and then me, Robin Lee Huston. I am family genealogist so I just found this site.

      Delete
  4. http://www.wdm.iowa.gov/government/parks-recreation/jordan-cemetery/huston-cemetery

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was born Linda Huston. This is my family buried in the Huston Cemetery. I have not been there in decades but use to go all the time as a teenager. I need to get out there and see what has happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Whom It May Concern,

    I work at the City of West Des Moines. I will be reaching out through several sources in an attempt to reach someone who has knowledge regarding some historical elements from Huston Cemetery.

    The City of West Des Moines is currently working on cemetery improvements at the Huston Family Cemetery, in addition to the road realignment project that was recently completed to avoid any future damage. Potential improvements include: informational signage, historic fence recreation, and planting of trees to shelter the cemetery from busy traffic. A part of the project is gathering as many original and historic components of the cemetery to include in the cemetery improvements.

    If you know the location of any historic elements, or have the contact information for someone who does, please reach out, or pass the word! You can reach me at (miriam.jakel@wdm.iowa.gov) or my work phone (515) 273-0644.

    Thank you so much for your time.

    Sincerely,
    Miriam Jakel
    City of West Des Moines

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miriam,

    I was happy to hear that improvements to the cemetery are being planned. James Brown Huston is my great great grandfather. (James, son George, his son William, his daughter, Wilma, then Me) My husband and I visited the cemetery for the first time in the summer of 2019. We also tried to identify the James Brown Huston house but were unable to, although I read that it still stands. I am fascinated by the history of the area. My grandfather William lost his first wife and oldest daughter to the Spanish Influenza of 1918. They lived in Dallas County. Both that daughter and her sisters husbands, who were brothers, had earlier left for France in WWI and one of the husbands died there during the fighting. I am a bit of a family historian so I am interested in following any updates related to the family and have gathered a lot of information. One interesting thing is that I've read in more than one place that the family was involved in the Underground Railroad but haven't been able to confirm that. I'm not certain what you mean by historical elements but assume it's only as related to the cemetery which I don't know about but I do have some general information and a handful of pictures. I will be following this to see the improvements. Thank you and Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete